Aha Moments: Equality, Diversity and, Inclusion


"Aha Moments:  Equality, Diversity and, Inclusion"

I love aha moments... so today is a good day.  : )

Over the past few months, my husband and I have had a lot of open conversations about equality.  In the last month, we've started to include diversity and inclusion in our conversations.

This morning as we were talking, my brain started to understand this more.  I started to make connections.  As my brain started to understand this more, I realized that I thought I understood these words, but I really didn't. 

So, here is a breakdown of (which brings together) these words that helped me to better understand them and to more easily see the connections instead of a separation.

(Taken from the internet, but shortened into simpler terms...)

EQUALITY = "ensuring everybody has an equal opportunity, and is not treated differently or discriminated against because of their characteristics.  

DIVERSITY = "taking account of the differences between people and groups of people, and placing a positive value on those differences."

INCLUSION = 'The action or state of including or being included within a group or structure'.  Inclusion is not a one-way street.  It works two ways.  It is ensuring an inclusive culture that is encouraging people to proactively engage.  Feeling included is a sense of being a part of a community."

Lisa Pratt -- November, 2020


Comments