Safety During These Strange Times


Safety During These Strange Times

Well, how are you doing during these strange times?

I have found myself in moments of thinking everything is going to be just fine in a couple of weeks to the next moment of being extremely depressed, frustrated, sad and hugely disappointed with some humans.  At times I wonder if we (humans) will ever choose to do better and wondering if we are actually getting worse.

When I find myself wondering those things, I reach out to my husband and close friends who immediately remind me that there are amazing people in our world.  A few fear-filled people may try to ruin it for everyone, but I choose to believe that most of us are good people who are only taking our share and doing what we can to help each other.

During these times of feeling unsafe, I am also thankful that my husband is able to work from home to help in protecting me (Type 1 diabetic) from becoming ill.  I'm extremely happy that he and I like each other.  If we didn't, being (mostly) self-quarantined in less than 600 sq. ft. together would be pretty darn miserable.  We're finding ways to be creative by writing/publishing songs; writing my next publication on healthy relationships; listening to music; reading; playing games; exercising; walking outside and watching movies.

We ordered groceries online and picked them up this morning.  We were pleased that most items we ordered were available and that everything at that moment seemed calm.  I'm happy I listened to Brian and didn't venture out in the hysteria this weekend to try and get supplies. 
What can you do to feel safety in times like these?

For each of us that may be different.  I encourage you to surround yourself with what and who helps you to feel safe instead of panicked.  If reading or watching the news is overwhelming for you and leaves you in a constant panic, I encourage you to take breaks from it.  If you're well, walking outside (at a safe distance from people) is amazing.  I'm grateful that Brian and I are able to easily get outside and walk right now... it helps to keep the mind moving and brings some peace when we pass nice people who say hello.  There is safety in healthy connection.

One of the biggest ways I'm providing safety for myself is that I have taken myself off of social media where political haters have taken over and I'm staying away from news except for a reliable source to get our information from.

As I've said before, 2020 is my year of questioning everything.  In keeping with that theme, I encourage you to question everything that you hear or read.  A few people like to spread hatred and panic through false reports or through their own fearful opinions.  Question every opinion and every news report that you hear or read.

I hope that you are safe and well.  Please take care of yourself and draw close to you what brings you comfort and those who bring you safety.

--Lisa Pratt
March 2020








Comments